Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dear Abby Pay it Forward

Dear Abby: Please let the world know that kind people still exist. I was on my way to two job interviews. Not surprisingly, I was nervous, so before I got off my train, I took my phone out to check the directions to the first one. A short walk later, I reached the subway, but when I went into my purse for my wallet to buy a MetroCard, lo and behold, my wallet and new glasses were missing.

I retraced my steps and ran to the courtesy counter to ask if anyone had turned in my wallet and glass case. The woman in the booth told me the train was still in the station and to hurry there immediately to check for my things. Long story short, no luck.

Heartbroken, I returned to the courtesy desk. Not only would I miss both of my appointments, but I was stranded with no money. I burst into tears, as I explained the situation to the woman in the booth. Abby, she reached into her purse and handed me $7!

"It's all I have right now," she said. "Use it to get to your interviews."

I went to my interviews and aced them both. When I came back to thank her, she was gone, but she had described me to the woman on the next shift who handed me a courtesy ticket home.

Abby, that woman's kindness was overwhelming. And just when the day couldn't get any better, I received a call. A conductor had found my wallet and glasses and would meet me on the train the next day.

I just want to share that kindness can happen when we least expect it. When it happens, we should pay it forward. - S. Smith, Asbury Park, N.J.

Dear S. Smith
: And I know you will. Good deeds are like wildflower seeds. Throw enough of them around and a desert becomes a garden.
Tampa Bay on-line http://bit.ly/eosID

No comments:

Post a Comment